Thursday, June 13, 2013

End of Year Student Evaluations of Me

Previously I posted the mid-year student and parent evaluations of me. At the end of the year I gave a slightly different (and shorter) survey to my students. This was given to them after they completed the final exam, was optional, and it was during finals week, so I only got 20 responses (out of 27 in the class, not too bad). (I didn't give a formal parent survey at the end of the year - not sure why, just didn't get to it, although some parents responded to my final email with some feedback.)

Here are the results from the 20 students who completed the survey (with their names removed).


Overall, I'm reasonably happy with these results. Several students mentioned they felt the pace was a bit too fast, and I would agree with that (the usual problem of too much required curriculum, not enough time - I tried to balance it well, but didn't always succeed).

I'd still like to find a way to get more detailed feedback from students at the end of the year, preferably with a face-to-face conversation as well as an online form. But there just isn't the class time to do that before the final exam, and then it's difficult to convince students to come in on their own time during finals week (or in the summer) and do that.

What are some ways you've tried to get better feedback?

No comments:

Post a Comment