Thursday, September 18, 2008

A New Learning Opportunity

I’m really excited about a new learning opportunity I began this week. I’m helping as a “Community Leader” for the ADVIS Cohort of Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach and Will Richardson’s Powerful Learning Practice initiative.


The PLP cohort model has face-to-face, webinar (Elluminate), and online discussion (private Ning) components, and I’ll be helping mostly with the online discussion component. I’m still figuring out what my role is, but essentially I’m supposed to do two things: help with the technical side of things (wiki questions, Ning questions, etc.) and help contribute and extend the online conversations. In other words, it’s very similar to what I’ve been doing in my own building staff development these last few years. The biggest difference is I won’t be part of the face-to-face meetings and, of course, I haven’t met most of the people in the community face-to-face. (I had the opportunity of presenting to an ADVIS group - along with Anne Smith and Will Richardson - back in January, and a few of the folks in the cohort attended that, so I probably have met some in the cohort face-to-face.)

While I’m really excited to be part of this, I’m also really nervous. (And this is the reason for this and hopefully subsequent posts – to share the process and what I learn as I go along.) Folks who know me in physical space know that I’m not the most social person. I’m certainly not anti-social, but it takes me awhile to join in with a group of people that I don’t know well. So this will be interesting for me as I leave my comfort zone a little bit.

Even so, I’m still really excited about this opportunity and thankful to Sheryl, Will and the ADVISPLP Cohort for allowing me to participate. I look forward to learning along with the cohort – and hopefully sharing on this blog what I discover about this type of online professional development.

5 comments:

  1. I just had a pleasant surprise reading this post. As one of the Australian cohort members in the PLP project, I too am looking forward to the experience. It is great to know that we will have the opportunity to collaborate on such an exciting project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @fmanning - Thanks, but I think you're probably a member of the International Cohort, not the ADVIS one. The good news is that you'll have a much smarter Community Leader . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karl,

    I was at your ADVIS presentation and I am now part of the Cohort. I think it is great that you are the ADVIS community leader. I had to smile this week when a friend discovered your "Did You Know" video this week and recommended I take a look at it. It reminded me of the story you told at the conference in January about someone sending you the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed participating last year with the Atlanta group and the Western NY group. This is absolutely about sharing collective wisdom. You will be amazed at what you take away as well, Karl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @mactechteacher - Glad you're part of the cohort. Yeah, that darn thing keeps popping up everywhere. Had a call from Major League Baseball of all people last week.

    @cathy nelson - any advice based on your experience last year?

    ReplyDelete