Saturday, March 06, 2010

Trivia Survey for a 4th Grade Math Lesson

If you have a moment, please take this short survey (also embedded below). It should take about 2-3 minutes. It's a little contrived as you will only answer some of the questions as there are age requirements in order to manipulate the results to have a different number of responses for each question (this is going to be an intro to percents).

Feel free to take this whenever you read this, but Abby needs her results by Tuesday, March 9th. Thanks in advance.






Results

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karl,
    Please tell Abby that I teach 4th graders math in Louisiana. My students are using Google forms to create census surveys. I am interested in why she set age restrictions on some of her questions. I am also interested in hearing how she will use this survey in her math class.

    I tweeted out this link and wish her good luck with her survey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @PNaugle - The age restrictions are purely to end up with a different number of responses to each question. The activity is trying to setup the discussion around how do you compare numbers when there are a different number of responses. So, if 50 people read a book and 62 ate at a fast-food restaurant, does that mean that more people ate at a fast-food restaurant? Not necessarily, if only 60 people answered the book question and 200 answered the fast food one. This leads them into talking about percents as a way to compare.

    A little contrived to get there, but still worthwhile I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karl,
    My name is Derek and I'm a graduate student at San Diego State University and we're currently studying blog sites. I really liked this survey that was inserted into your post. I noticed that it was part of Google Docs. I hadn't though of using a blog to collect data like this.
    Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you found out what people did of all ages. I even like the age restrictions,since not everyone does the say thing. It's a good way to get things done in math with a different routine. Math can get a little boring.

    ReplyDelete