Tuesday, November 27, 2007

It Takes a Whole Village (or High School)

Like in most school districts in the U.S., the high schools in my district have a pretty intense rivalry. But I just had to share this great story - and video - from our "rival" Heritage High School.

Via Dan Maas's (my CIO) blog:
During MAD Week, the school hosted a visit from Ishmael Beah who wrote a book (A long way gone) about his personal experiences as a child soldier. When Ishmael came to Heritage, he was greeted with a heroes welcome. Part of the welcome was to present a video about the effort that the students had put forth.
"MAD" stands for Make A Difference, and boy did they. They raised over $14,000 to help children in Sierra Leone, and one of their students delivered the aid in person. Here's the powerful video they made.

Way to go Heritage!

10 comments:

  1. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly puts our "rivalry" into perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this Karl. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karl, I already knew your school was one of wonder. One I wish we had in our area for my own children to attend someday. Now I see that your "rival" school is one of wonder as well. You are very lucky to live in such an amazing area. And your students, well, I just hope they know how very blessed they are.

    Thank you for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this video. The whole project at Heritage, including the School Book Read of A Long Way Gone, by Ishmael Baeh has been incredible. Littleton is indeed a wonderful district. Sharing the successes of the "rivals" is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. Makes me think about how am I and how could I make a difference in the world...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great what Heritage has done and Arapahoe should step up and do the same. Not just help our school,but help the schools around the world that need it most!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked this video and how it made a huge difference in Africa for the people. It would be amazing if all schools especially Arapahoe did what Heritage did to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think what Heritage did to help out in Africa was great. Arapahoe should really get involved in this and instead of helping our school, we should help other schools that have absolutely nothing. Also, not just Arapahoe should help out but other schools should.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think what Heritage did to help out in Africa was great. Arapahoe should really get involved in this and instead of helping our school, we should help other schools that have absolutely nothing. Also, not just Arapahoe should help out but other schools should.

    ReplyDelete