Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Teachers as Leaders

You'll all be happy to know I've read another book. Don't worry, it was shorter, so I'll just post once about it. The focus on the book was on leadership and motivation in the business arena, but I feel that it applies just about as well to teaching. The following were some of the points the authors emphasized - the parts in [red] are my additions.
  1. Leading [teaching] people [students] is the opposite of trying to control them.

  2. Leadership [teaching/learning] is not just what happens when you’re there, it’s what happens when you’re not there.

  3. Profit [achievement] is the applause you get for taking care of your customers [students] and creating a motivating environment for people [colleagues/students].

  4. Leadership [teaching] is not something you do to people [students], it’s something you do with them.

  5. Trust [respect] is what happens when values and behaviors match up.

  6. The key to effective leadership [teaching] is the relationship you build with your team [students/colleagues].

  7. Sharing the big picture puts everyone [teachers/students] on the same page.

  8. People [students] will think for themselves when you quit doing it for them.

  9. Leadership [teaching] is the process of getting everyone [students/colleagues] to the place they are supposed to go.

If you have any thoughts on these, I'd suggest picking one (or two) to comment on.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with every quote here. And what I like is that they apply to all kids of teaching not just classroom teaching. I teach kids to dance and this applies to that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the thought of sharing the "big picture." If everyone knows where the goals are then they are more willing to help get there. I know when I let the students in on the key concepts and what the goals are of the lesson then they have a better understanding of why we are doing what we are doing.

    Molly said some good things about this applying to learners outside of the classroom. I know from coaching that a lot of these points help the athletes see why we do what we do and keep them interested in the end goals.

    I have never thought of the leading being the opposite of controlling but I can see how people would interpret it. I wonder if there are poeple who think the other way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is, "People [students] will think for themselves when you quit doing it for them" I have found this more in more in my Enlgish classroom. When I told kids that I think there is more than one interpretation to a novel and that they can argue their belief they become better critical thinkers and actually find proof in the text to back up what they believe reagardless of what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As these are all concepts I have had conversations about on the soccer pitch, I sure hope we don't have as much trouble finding leadership on the staff as we do on the field.

    ReplyDelete