Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Second Semester Algebra 1 Lesson Plans (CCSS Edition)

If you're a faithful reader, you know that I have some concerns with the Common Core State Standards. At the moment, however, I am tasked to teach an Algebra course that is aligned to those standards, so I'm trying to make it the best experience possible for my students.

Earlier I shared my first semester lesson plans - please take a minute to read over the assumptions and caveats in that post. Over the last few days I've mapped out a rough outline of second semester. Please keep in mind that we're transitioning, so this doesn't fully align yet and there are definitely some more "advanced" topics that we aren't quite ready for yet. This year we started the year with solving and then graphing linear equations, next year we will probably quickly review and then start with Systems of Equations, which (if successful) will give us a bit more time later in the year to fold in some of those more advanced topics.

As always, these are a work in progress, and I'm open to suggestions (either in the comments or via email), particularly if you have ideas/links to additional good activities/learning experiences for students around these particular topics. While I've "created" this particular set of plans, you'll quickly see that I've borrowed ideas from the rest of the math-twitter-blogosphere so follow the links to get to the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment