Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Did You Know? 2.0 - Additional Quotes and Questions

Dean asked if I had a text version of Did You Know? 2.0. I hadn’t ever gotten around to that, so I took a few minutes this weekend and put that together (Word, PDF, also linked from this page on the wiki).

When I did that I remembered that when we posted it I had mentioned that I had originally had a few more questions that I had wanted to include, but it would’ve made the presentation way too long, and that I would blog those eventually. Hmmm, I’m having trouble lately with my “eventually’s” possibly becoming “nevers,” so I suppose I better post those as well.

These are additional quotes and questions that I originally had in the portion of the presentation where the Einstein quote and the “Ask your kids” question is. I originally had the slide about students in China, Australia, etc. collaborating on projects every day slightly earlier in the presentation, and then these quotes and questions clustered together.
“No generation in history has ever been so thoroughly prepared for the industrial age.”
- David Warlick

“We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
- Albert Einstein

Ask Your Kids: Are you doing this in school?

Ask Yourself: What can I do to help?

We are moving from
“do your own work” to “work with others.”
“just in case” to “just in time” learning
“hand it in” to “publish it.”
- Will Richardson

Knowledge resides in the network. Students need to know how to find that knowledge, whether it’s on a server in Indiana or in a human brain in India.

Ask Your Teacher: How are you helping my child build their own learning network?

“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read or write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.”
- Alvin Toffler

“In times of rapid change, the learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.”
Eric Hoffer

Ask your principal: How are you helping my child become literate in the 21st century?

“The computer is the primary instrument for intellectual and creative work in our society.”
- Gary Stager

Ask your school board: Are you providing the resources and training necessary to prepare students to be successful in 21st century society?

“There is one thing worse than not being able to see. Being able to see, but having no vision.”
- Helen Keller

Ask your elected representatives: Now that you know all this, what changes should be made to current education legislation?

Then leave “Ask your elected representatives”, fade the rest out, and fade in with: What’s your vision?
So, I’m posting these in case they’re helpful to somebody, and so that I can cross one of those “eventually’s” off my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment