Friday, June 16, 2006

How about an oil change and some wifi?

Just a quickie . . .

I'm thinking this Internet thang may be more than a passing fad. On my way to work today I passed a Grease Monkey (the oil change place, not the Firefox plugin) with this on its sign:
Free Internet Access While You Wait!
To borrow from Mastercard's advertising campaign:
Oil Change: $31.95
Tire Rotation: $39.95
Wifi: Priceless

Of course, the glass is half empty guy in me can't help but notice that you can get free wireless Internet access at your mechanic, but not in our high school . . .

2 comments:

  1. Along the same lines...I went to the public library today to check out some books, and they no longer use any actual people to check out books. Much like the do-it-yourself line at the grocery store, you swipe your library card and then place up to five books at a time underneath a scanner. A "radio frequency" (or something like that) can shuffle through the stack and automatically creates a check out list. You don't even have to scan them one at a time! I was impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a radio frequency (RF) tag. Abby loves it. Of course she loved the scanning machines too. In fact, I think she liked the scanning better because she got to do more - although she does like how the titles pop up one at a time on the screen as they are recognized.

    ReplyDelete